Breastfeeding

Brokenhearted at the loss of her baby boy, one mother has taken to Facebook with a warning to parents about the simple danger that cost her son his life.

Kristin Hoffman was breastfeeding her seven-week-old son, John Thomas Michael Abernathy, when tragedy struck.

As the US mum’s fatigue took hold, her newborn fell off her chest and into the covers of her bed.

“It greatly pains me and shames me that this happened but I have to ask you all to please share and spread the word…” the grieving mother wrote the day after her son’s death.

“No matter how tired you are as a mother, GET UP AND GO TO A CHAIR or somewhere you won’t fall asleep when you feed your child at night.

“My precious son slipped off my breast and into the covers of my bed early Sunday morning and into heaven.

“The way we discovered him was a tragedy I don't want to hear [this happen to] anyone else.”

While the precious boy was able to be revived, he later passed away.

Kristin’s warning has since been met with an influx of reactions from fellow parents, many of whom have expressed their deepest condolences for the family.

“So sorry about your loss. It could happen so easily,” commented one mother, while another shared: “Kristen my heart is so heavy for you, please know that this could have happened to any one EVERY mother has fallen asleep.”

The Australian Breastfeeding Association says that although breastfeeding has a positive effect against SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), co-sleeping with your baby can present some huge risks.

In addition to fears of overheating and head covering, the association warns that a parent should never share a bed with their baby if they “are unusually tired, to a point where you would find it hard to respond to your baby”.