New to Bounty?
Looking to think outside the lunchbox when it comes to prepping your child’s school lunch this year?
If you need some food inspo that goes beyond the trusty Vegemite sandwich, Dietitian Sharon Natoli has come up with some eggs-cellent recipes that are so good they may not even make it to lunch time.
Sharon also shares her simple lunchbox hacks that will save you precious time in that mad morning rush to get everyone out the door.
Sharon’s top 5 lunchbox hacks
1. As kids head back to school in the summer time, it’s important to take steps to keep the lunchbox cool to reduce the growth of any harmful bacteria. Choose an insulated lunch box, a small freezer pack, or include a wrapped frozen water bottle.
2. Involve children in planning and preparing their lunch box. To help with their decision making provide a short list of options that consist of healthy choices. Children are more likely to eat something they have helped to select.
3. Eggs are a highly nutritious food and provide a range of essential vitamins and minerals for children’s growth and development. Offer children a range of egg options for their lunch box such as mini frittatas, egg rolls, egg salad or omelettes that can be sliced and eaten with fingers.
4. To avoid soggy sandwiches while still including veggies in the lunchbox, include options such as snacking cucumbers, colourful cherry tomatoes, celery sticks and crunchy snow peas.
5. Cut up different types of fruit on the weekend and keep it in different containers. Provide children with a different mix of fruits over the course of the week to help keep their fruit intake varied and interesting, while also being easy to eat and time saving.
Ham, Egg and Tomato Calzone
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Air-fryer Mini Egg and Mince Parcels
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 65 mins
Soft Boiled Eggs
Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C (fan-forced) and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place parcels onto tray leaving a 2cm space between them. Cook for about 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and crisp.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes