Ten-year-old's device prevents babies dying in hot cars

A Texan boy has invented a gadget that he hopes may save the lives of infants locked in a car on a hot day.

After a six-month-old baby was tragically killed from the repercussions of being trapped inside an overheating vehicle in a suburb near him, Bishop Curry V got to work.

He created a detachable device he calls the “Oasis”, which latches onto the child’s car seat, and activates after detecting the child’s presence and car’s rising temperature.

The apparatus then springs into action, blowing cool air on the child while simultaneously alerting parents and the authorities.

“It would be a dream to have lots of inventions that would save many lives,” the youngster, who has previously created a home-made catapult and ping pong ball cannon, told NBC.

The fifth grade student’s father has set up a GoFundMe page, whereby supporters can pledge money to help Bishop’s design eventuate into a product families can purchase.

It can take just 15 minutes in an overheated car for a child to suffer life-threatening kidney or brain injuries. When the body reaches 40 degrees, organs can shut down and at 41.6 degrees a person can die.

When the outside temperature is 26-37 degrees, a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to 54-77 degrees, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Bishop Curry V